Well known to motorists across the UK, the RAC provides a detailed inspection service for anyone considering the purchase of used cars via motor dealer networks. Despite market research and soundings, all of which confirmed the very strong appeal of this service to customers (85% attractiveness), the RAC were experiencing a poor response to promotional initiatives - resulting in low sales.
Prosell set out to define and address the problem. Our research identified the fact that dealership salespeople and managers had failed to grasp the sales potential and the added value benefits of the service. A combination of issues and perceptions on the part of many sales personnel had effectively limited promotion of the service to customers.
Prosell’s solution was designed to improve understanding, address negative issues and provide a positive and sustainable sales solution that would support the RAC.
"This has been a phenomenal success - a true example of using a specialist training company to solve difficult sales problems."
Personnel Director, RAC
Why RAC chose Procoach®
Procoach® - from Prosell is designed to deliver visible and sustainable performance improvement by addressing the methods and systems used to coach staff.
Procoach® is particularly suitable for sales and service teams as it:
- focuses on delivering tangible results which are closely aligned with individual and business needs
- applies a pragmatic coaching model tuned to the dynamic nature of call centres and sales and service environments
- delivers coaching at the point of need - in a way that suits the individual
- allows clients to track ROI throughout the programme
Overall project implementation involved three key phases.
The first was a Research Phase -
- Customer research targeted recent used car buyers
- Mystery shopping was conducted to assess the real sales situation
- Sales interviews were used to explore and examine issues and problems
This was followed by a tailored programme development phase -
- A bespoke training and coaching programme for dealer sales and after-sales was designed
- A 'Best Practice' standards profile was created
Finally, training workshops were implemented and a programme of evaluation (using “before-and-after” measures) was undertaken, using “Mystery Shopper” live action filming and assessment.
The programme delivered measurable improvements in sales performance clearly illustrated in the “before-and-after” ratings:
- Product offered to consumers - up 188%
- Essential sales points covered - up 128%
- Positive customer outcomes - up 110 %
The pilot programme was such a success that it was selected to be rolled out across the network - with over 100 sales people already having been through the programme in its initial phase.